Pages

Saturday 29 December 2018

In-service training session

We hope you all had a good Christmas? Like most of us I guess I was suffering from spending far too much time sitting on my backside eating too many chocs! So a last minute decision on 27th, to have a thermo-lamping session was a suitable antidote. In truth I was feeling a tad embarrassed by my poor recent rate of locating birds with the torch after finding them in the thermal imager--I needed some in-service training on my own without the pressure of having expectant guests.
It turned out to be just what I needed. After a short session-20.00-22.00 at a farm near Belvide, I managed to ring 1 of two woodcock seen; 1 of three snipe seen and 4 of about 50 skylarks seen. I learned some important lessons about handling all the kit you need (growing an extra arm would be a superb improvement...) and I've come up with some cunning plans to improve my next performance-- I hope! However, spotting skylarks in dense stubble is still a challenge but I'm getting there. Col

No comments:

Post a Comment